The Path of Kane
Things Men Are Not Meant to Know
A common trope in Gothic Horror (and other genres) is Things Man Was Not Meant to Know. These "things"come in many physical forms: ancient books, dead scrolls, seemingly innocuous treatises, or texts written in ciphers, demonic tongues, or dead languages that describe some dark and ancient evil. Deciphering and reading such things will give the reader knowledge but inevitably this knowledge comes at great personal costs. The “forbidden Knowledge” trope has spawned many more common tropes.
- Alien Geometries — Forms Man Was Not Meant To Comprehend.
- Artifact of Doom — Things Man Was Not Meant To Use.
- Black Speech — Speech Man Was Not Meant To Hear.
- Brown Note — Stimuli Man Was Not Meant To Experience.
- Eldritch Abomination — Things Man Was Not Meant To Meet.
- Eldritch Location — Places Man Was Not Meant To Visit.
- Poke in the Third Eye — Beings Man Was Not Meant To Scry.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore — Books Man Was Not Meant To Read.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form — Things Man Was Not Meant To Comprehend Even After He Was Foolish Enough To Look At Them.
Possession of such lore tends to cause obsessive behavior in the owner. He covets the knowledge and does all in his power to keep it “safe.” For those who do not wish to ultimately succumb to the evil of such things, it is a constant struggle to maintain their sanity and often their souls.