The Path of Kane
Thornton Curtis is a village in the northern Lincolnshire. The name Thornton is from the Old English thorn+tun, meaning “village where thorn trees grow.” The origin of Curtis in the village name is unknown.
The Abbey of St. Mary, also known as Thornton Abbey, sits just east of the village. The Abbey was founded in 1139 by Wlliams le Gros, Earl of Yorkshire and reached status of Abbey in 1148. It was seized by the crown in the Dissolution of 1541 and has fallen into disrepair since. It’s rumored that the current owner, an aristocrat by the name of Sir Robert Sutton, plans on demolishing the Abbey to build his manor and farm on the site.
Thornton Curtis’s Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Lawrence and seats around 300 people. The church is built of stone in the 13th century in the early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing 5 bells. Inside there are lively stiff-leaf capitals and dog tooth decorations on the south door. The Early Norman black marble Tourrai font is square in plan, the bowl is curiously carved, resting on a large central shaft, with a smaller one at each angle, the whole surface is enriched with sculpture in low relief and is one of few in England. The Anglican Parish register dates from the year 1568.